Image Map

Saturday, July 20, 2013

DIY Class Coupons

My last post was about trying to get organized and become better at classroom management. During that post I mentioned that I'd be making my own stuff to go with my new behavior system. This post will be a step-by-step tutorial (with pictures for iWork Pages) for anyone interested in creating their own customized class coupons.

Step 1: Brainstorm

Come up with a list of rewards you'd like to give your kids. There are plenty of ideas around the web to inspire you. As you come up with ideas, consider how you will give out the coupons. Will kids purchase them with some form of classroom currency? If so, you should consider the value of each coupon as you brainstorm. Several of the coupons I created were essentially the same reward, but with slight differences. For example, I have homework passes that exempt students from assignments and passes that just allow them to take home a game instead.

Step 2: Create a Template 

First, decide which program you're going to use to create your coupons. I used iWork Pages. If you're using Microsoft, you can use Word or PowerPoint. If you use Word, be sure to use a Blank Publishing Layout.

For Pages or Word: I created a simple 3 x 2 table. Each section of the table will be a coupon. 

For PowerPoint: You won't need a template. Just make one coupon per slide, duplicate it, and print as a handout to get several on a page.

Step 3: Design the Coupon

Get creative and format your coupon! Decide which images you want on the coupon and what you want it to say. Also, decide where each of these elements will be placed. There are plenty of images and fonts around the internet to give you the look you want!  
You can also format the table borders if you're using Pages (or Word) for an uniform look for all of your coupons. I chose to add a set of paw prints in the upper left corner of all my coupons for uniformity. 

Step 4: Duplicate the Coupon

This next step allows you to print multiple coupons on a single sheet. The process varies a bit depending on the software you're using. 

Command+click each of the images and text boxes.
Click Arrange > Group.
Now, each of the elements has been grouped as one item.... 
...and can be copied (Command+C) and pasted (Command+V) into the other boxes on the template!























For Word: Command+click (shift+click for PC users) each of the images and text boxes. Option+click (right click) to bring up the options menu, then choose Group under the grouping option. Now, each of the elements has been grouped as one item and can be copied and pasted into the other boxes on the template.  

For PowerPoint: Duplicate the slide to depending on how many coupons you want on a page. For example, I want to print four coupons on a page. I'd duplicate the slide 3 times, for a total of four identical coupons. When I print them, I'd choose the Handouts (4 slides per page) option.   

Step 5: Repeat

Now you're ready to create another coupon. For Pages and Word, you can follow steps 2-4 again with a few minor short cuts. 
I copied and pasted the original template from Step 2. Then, I copied and pasted one of the coupons I'd already made into the new template. I ungrouped that coupon. 
Next, I quickly changed the text and picture to create a new coupon.
Then, I regrouped the images and copied/pasted the coupon into the other boxes on the page. It sounds like a lot, but it definitely gets easier once you get the hang of it. 
For PowerPoint: Just repeat steps 2-4. 

Step 5: Print and Enjoy

I'm printing mine on red paper to match the classroom theme. I suggest laminating them for durability. I hope this has been useful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments section! 

2 comments: