Image Map

Thursday, July 18, 2013

DonorsChoose Success!

I must say I am really grateful to the genius who dreamt up DonorsChoose.org and made it a reality. Within 3 days of posting my latest project (one costing an ambitious $600), it was completely funded! To say I was astounded would be an understatement. So, what did I get?


Well, the bulk of the order was picture books that can be used to teach math concepts. I attended a PD at the beginning of the summer about literacy integration and problem solving with picture books. I loved it! I've used picture books in my lessons before, and I must say those were some of my most successful and engaging lessons. Needless to say, I can't wait to get my hands on those new books.

I also ordered a hundreds chart pocket chart and a ten frames pocket chart. I just purchased the It Makes Sense book series, about using hundreds charts and pocket charts, and figured they'd come in handy.  Finally, I ordered a bunch of dice for the students to borrow. I'm going to try sending home games for homework instead of practice pages. The idea is it'll help engage the families in the students' learning. Maybe the students will even play them with their friends (the neighborhood around my school is tiny). I'm hoping it will be more engaging and have a bigger impact, particularly for kids who don't get a lot of help at home.

I'll definitely post more about the literacy integration and game packs as things develop.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo, Miss Hardeman! So glad you were funded. Get busy on your next grant. I love DC too and have had a number of grants funded over the past few years. BTW, I'm your newest follower.
    Jill
    a-little-red-wagon

    ReplyDelete