Image Map

Friday, July 19, 2013

The Classroom Management Project

My very 1st classroom.
It was literally a dumping ground.
I'm totally confident in my instructional abilities. Classroom management- not so much. It's not so horrible that my classroom is a complete chaotic, disorganized disaster. But, there is totally room for improvement. So, I've decided to devote the rest of the summer to creating a management plan.

Click the picture to
get this awesome resource!
To help me get started, I purchased the Teaching Procedures and Routines Classroom Management Tool from the Clutter Free Classroom on Teachers Pay Teachers. This resource has been amazing! I've already printed the workbook and used the included checklist to begin making a list of necessary procedures.

Everything was super easy and going along smoothly until I got to the behavior plan part. Yikes! I've been lucky enough to have amazing kids who rarely misbehave.  As a result, my behavior management system has not been consistent. At the beginning of the year I used a behavior chart, but that went out the window when I departmentalized half way through the first trimester. For the rest of the year, I dabbled in the CHAMPS model. Still, I wasn't super consistent and there were no real consequences for bad behavior. So, I've taken today to come up with a new behavior plan.

Here's what it consists of:
  1. A behavior chart- for tracking student behaviors
  2. Paw Prints and Dawg Bones- for rewarding daily behavior (levels on the chart earn a number of paw prints/dawg bones) 
  3. Classroom Coupons- students can buy coupons with their paw prints/dawg bones 
  4. Parent Reports- a generic form for communicating student behavior as necessary

Class Coupons- a work in progress!
I want everything to fit in with my University of Georgia theme. So, I'm making all of these things myself. Expect posts detailing my process in the near future. I'd love to hear any advice or suggestions. So, leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment